If you want customers to be able to contact you via email (e.g., email@example.com) you can automatically forward your emails to Intercom. This will let you handle all support requests from your team inbox.
1. Copy your inbound email address
Each app has a unique incoming email address, this is found in Settings > Outbound > Email forwarding.
You can also automatically forward email to an individual team member. To do this, copy the unique email address listed on their user profile as shown below.
When emails are forwarded to these addresses we will try and match the sender to a user in your app based on their email address.
2. Set up forwarding in your email client
After copying your inbound email address, open your email client and follow the steps to begin forwarding your emails to it. Find the guides for some common clients here:
You will then receive a verification email from your email client in Intercom, where you can confirm you have received it.
Example: If you're using Gmail, the verification for the forwarding address will be sent to Intercom from your Gmail inbox.
- It's not possible to forward email by just adding your email address to an email group. You need to explicitly forward that email to Intercom.
- When you forward your email into Intercom, every member of your team will be able to see any emails sent to you. As a result, if you have private emails you don't want visible in Intercom it's not advisable to forward emails from your personal address.
- If you add a company address as a forwarding address, you'll need to mark it as a company address. This will stop it getting added to conversations and causing email loops.
Want to know more?
Learn more about the ways customers can contact you via Intercom.