Intercom’s mission is to make business personal - for everyone. To ensure the Intercom Messenger is accessible, we comply with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 Level AA.
Here are some of the features that make the Messenger accessible:
- Screen reader support: the Messenger is accessible via screen readers
- Color contrast: all text in the web Messenger is clearly visible when using colors with enough contrast.
- Keyboard navigation: Every component of the Messenger can be accessed using a keyboard without requiring a mouse or trackpad. — Visual indicators of focus are present for sighted users:
How to ensure your Messenger is accessible
You can customize the Messenger to suit your company’s brand and needs. Here are a few ways to make sure your own version of the Messenger is accessible:
1. Check your Color Contrast
- You should use dark colors that match 4.5:1 contrast ratio. You can check your color contrast here.
2. Consider your Messenger Apps
- All apps built by Intercom in this list are accessible.
- We cannot guarantee that third party apps will be accessible. You should check with the third party that built the apps you use.
3. Include descriptions and captions
- When sending attachments, GIFs, images, and videos, include descriptions of each.
- Include captions in videos you share.
If you have any questions about accessibility, chat to us in the Messenger. 😊