Intercom's Salesforce integration allows you to see your user and company data, as well as conversations from Intercom inside your Salesforce account and contact pages. It's available with Respond and Engage.
Why install Salesforce?
See the conversations your product, marketing, and support teams are having with customers in Intercom, right inside of Salesforce. You'll have a complete view of customer interactions in real-time, without the need to switch screens or log into another application.
How to install Salesforce
The installation takes less than 5 minutes to complete and doesn't require any development time. Once installed, you'll immediately be able to see Intercom profiles on any Salesforce Account or contact page, including a history of all Intercom conversations to date.
To be able to integrate Intercom and Salesforce, you must:
- Have the Salesforce's Classic (or Cloud) user interface theme.
- Have a Salesforce account (No Salesforce API Access required).
- Have permissions to install Packages into Salesforce.
- The Salesforce Integration is currently compatible with Salesforce’s Classic (or Cloud) Visualforce dashboard, but not Lightning Experience.
- We don't support Sandbox environments.
Step 1. Install
Click here to log into your Salesforce account and install the package.
Important: Please note that this integration will not access your Salesforce API or make Salesforce API requests.
Step 2. Add Visualforce panel to Contact Page
To add the Intercom User panel to the Salesforce Contact page you will need to edit the layout of a contact page and add the newly installed panel.
Open the contact page for one of your existing contacts in Salesforce and click "Edit Layout". This will bring you to the graphical layout builder in Salesforce.
Drag down a new section for the Intercom panel, and the Section name “Intercom” and set the number of columns to 1.
Under "Visualforce pages" drag down the newly installed IntercomContact page. Click the spanner icon to edit the Visualforce Page Properties. Set height to 500.
Step 3. Connect with Intercom
Click "Save", and the Contact page will display a ‘Connect with Intercom’ button. Click this button and follow the instructions to authenticate your account. The Intercom user profile data will now be displayed in the panel.
Step 4: Account page
To add Intercom Company profile panels to Salesforce repeat Step 2 and 3 on an existing Account page.
When installed you'll see a panel on your Salesforce Account and Contact pages that display user and company data and conversations from Intercom. All information displayed in the panel is linked to Intercom for more details.
Note: We map Salesforce Accounts to Intercom companies and Salesforce Contacts to Intercom users.
1) Viewing company information within a Salesforce account
On a Salesforce Account page, the integration adds a panel displaying a summary of company information from Intercom and a list of the conversations your teammates have had with users in that company. With this live information you can:
- See a company's status with your product (active or inactive). If a user is in the active segment, then the "status" field will show up as active.
- View what plan they are on (e.g. free or paid).
- Find out the total number of users of your product in the company.
- Understand when they first signed up, last logged in, and the total sessions for all users in the company.
- Browse all conversations your teammates have had with each of the users in the company.
Your company information will look something like this:
2) Viewing user information within a Salesforce Contact
On a Salesforce Contact page, the integration adds a panel displaying a summary of user profile information from Intercom and a list of the conversations your teammates have had with that user. With this live information you can:
- See the last time a user logged in.
- View how many sessions they've had in your product.
- Understand what segments they are in and see any tags.
- Browse all open and closed conversations your teammates have had with them.
Your user information will look something like this:
3) Adding new users to Intercom
The Salesforce and Intercom records are linked via the email address of the user. If the contact doesn't exist in Intercom, you will be able to easily add them as a new user in Intercom in a single-click and start messaging them straight away.
4) Adding new users to Salesforce
While we do not natively support syncing of data, with Zapier you can create a new Lead/Contact from an Intercom Lead/User (Intercom User > Salesforce Contact, Intercom Lead > Salesforce Lead).
If you have other products you would like to see integrated please send us a note at email@example.com. You can learn more about all existing Intercom integrations and importers here.