Tagging conversations can be a valuable part of your workflow, allowing you to do things like:
- Gauge the impact of bugs and issues.
- Highlight common points of confusion.
- Prioritise feature requests.
- Find the top reasons your customers cancel.
But tagging conversations manually can be time consuming, and it's hard to ensure consistency.
To automatically, and consistently apply tags, you should use Inbox rules. 👍
Automatically tag conversations
To automatically tag conversations with rules, go to Inbox > Automation > Rules, and click ‘New rule’:
Note: Tagging conversations with rules is only available with certain Intercom plans. See our plans and pricing here.
You can use rules to tag conversations based on the content of the messages, user, company or conversation attributes, and more:
There are many different ways you can tag your conversations to offer a deep insight into the conversations your team are having:
- Tag the different types of conversation — bug reports, feature requests, churn feedback.
- Tag conversations about different versions of your product — Android app, iOS app, web app.
- Tag conversations from different user segments — plans or account types, locations or languages.
- And more.
As an example, let's create a tag rule to identify all conversations from our mobile apps. 👇
How to create a tag rule
First, choose when you want this rule to trigger. In this example we want it to tag new conversations as soon as they are started:
Then, add the filters a conversation must match for this rule to apply. In this case, “From Android Or From iOS is true”:
Tip: You can mix ‘And’ & ‘Or’ filters for more flexible targeting.
With the filters in place, just select the tag or tags you'd like to add to the conversation:
Pro tip: You can add additional actions too, like assigning the conversation or marking it as priority 😉
Finally, save the rule and set it live: