You and your teammates should snooze any conversation that’s still active, but temporarily on hold. For example, when you’re waiting on more information from a customer or another teammate, you can snooze the conversation until they reply.
Snoozing a conversation will temporarily remove it from your open conversations list for a set period of time. Then, when the snooze period ends (or if someone replies) the conversation will reopen, reminding you to follow up.
Snooze helps you streamline your workflow, so you can work on pressing issues first.
How to snooze a conversation
1. To snooze a conversation, just click the clock icon at the top right hand corner.
2. Then choose how long you’d like your conversation to be snoozed for - until later today, tomorrow, next week, next month or a date and time of your choice.
If you want to snooze the conversation until a specific date, click on 'Custom' and select a date and time from the calendar.
Pro tip: To quickly snooze a conversation until tomorrow, just hit: ‘Z.’
When does a snoozed conversation automatically reopen?
A snoozed conversation automatically reopens when:
- The snooze time period you’ve specified is over. (When a conversation reopens, we’ll show you when the conversation was snoozed and at what time it re-opened.)
- A customer or teammate replies to the conversation.
Note: If you reply to a conversation assigned to you, it won’t automatically re-open. If someone else replies or adds a note, it will. If you’d like to re-open the conversation, you can do so manually.
Should I snooze or close a conversation?
You should snooze a conversation after each message you send, until the conversation has been fully resolved. For example, snooze a conversation if you’re waiting on an answer from a customer or a teammate.
You should only ever close a conversation when it’s been fully resolved for the customer.
Note: Closing a conversation at the right time helps ensure your team’s ‘Conversations closed’ rate displays accurately in your Inbox Insights.
Manage your snoozed conversations
To view your snoozed conversations, just click the dropdown arrow on the left-hand side of your message and select ‘Snoozed conversations.’
Snooze conversations on the move
If you have the Intercom Conversations app, you can easily snooze a conversation while you’re on the move.
Just tap the ‘info’ icon at the top right hand corner of your screen, then select ‘Snooze conversation.’
Note: To manually reopen a conversation just select the ‘info’ icon and select ‘Reopen conversation.’
Best practices for snoozing conversations
If you’re waiting for an answer from a teammate or trying to investigate an issue yourself, you should let your customers know when you’ll get back to them, before snoozing the conversation.
Streamline your workflow
- Before you close a conversation, proactively ask your customer if it has been resolved, then close it as quickly as possible once it has. To save time, you can use TextExpander to create a ‘sign-off snippet’ to use again and again. Say something warm and friendly like, ‘Let me know if I can help with anything else.’
- If you’re waiting for a customer to reply, it’s best to snooze the conversation until tomorrow. Then, when the conversation re-opens the next day you’ll be reminded to follow up. Your customer will appreciate the extra effort you’ve put in to ensure they get the help they need.
- We recommend looking at your snoozed conversations once a day, and following up with customers who haven’t responded yet. To save time, create a follow-up saved reply, personalizing it for each customer.
Know when to close conversations
If a customer hasn’t replied to a snoozed conversation in a week, it’s possible that they’ve already found a solution to their problem. In that case, it’s okay to close the conversation. It will automatically re-open if the customer replies.