With Intercom Messages, it's easy to acquire, onboard and retain users. You can send targeted auto messages to start conversations with visitors while they browse your website. Then, once they become customers, you can send them in-app messages and emails that trigger based on who they are and the activity they take within your app.
What you get with Messages
- Send in-app messages to visitors on your website, and customers inside your web and mobile apps.
- Automatically message people based on who they are and the actions they take inside your product.
- Engage leads and users with automated and one-off emails and push notifications.
- Personalize every message you send with custom variables.
- Set message goals specific to your business. See open and click rates.
- A/B test your subject lines and message content to optimize opens, clicks and conversions.
- Completely control the look and feel of your email using custom templates.
- Schedule emails to send only on specific days between certain hours.
- Effortlessly create visually rich messages with our powerful message composer.
- View your Messages insights to see how your messages are performing and whether they’re sending as expected.
Step 1: Sign up for Intercom
Enter your email address on the Intercom homepage to create your account. You’ll be prompted to start a free trial of Messages.
STEP 2: Import your users and leads
Once installed, you can import your users and leads to Intercom from a CSV file or from your MailChimp, Mixpanel or Stripe account.
STEP 3: Create your first welcome message
Set up a welcome message that will automatically send to users inside your product when they first sign up. Here’s how:
- Target your message to the right users. If you want your message to send right after your user signs up, you can add a 'Signed up less than 1 day ago' filter. Now each time a new user signs up to your product they’ll get your message. Be sure to also add a ‘Signed up after today’ filter to avoid annoying current customers.
- Choose the right message type. Notes work best for welcome messages - they’re great for encouraging users to take a specific action in your product.
- Keep your message personal and use a friendly and human tone. Add variables to your message to address each user by their first name and company name.
- Focus on your users’ needs. To help your users get the most from your product you can share a link to your docs, embed an onboarding video or include your top 3 tips for getting started. Here’s an example of a super effective welcome message.
- Target a specific URL if you’d like your message to appear when your customer lands on their dashboard for the first time, for example. Here’s how.
- Set your message live.
- Now that you’ve set up your welcome message, check out these other messages you should send to engage your users.
- Watch our product tour videos to learn more.
- Learn how to automate your customer engagement in our upcoming webinar.