You can update your user data in a number of ways. Most updates can be handled automatically by Intercom, but you can also update your data manually. In this guide, we'll cover how to update data using:
- Mobile SDKs
- Qualification data
- REST API
- CSV Imports
First, let's look at how to automatically update data:
How data is automatically updated
Once you’ve installed Intercom in your product, your user data updates every time a user logs in. Updates can include:
- Standard attributes: Email, Last seen, Web Sessions, OS, Company Plan and more.
- Custom attributes. Any custom data you add. For example: Projects created, Subscription level, or Follower count.
- Events, like upgrading their subscription or using a feature.
Note: We’ll also update the segment badges you see on a user’s profile each time they log in to your app.
Note: You can also update segments via the REST API.
You can automatically sync your Intercom data with other platforms using apps and integrations. For example:
- When a user unsubscribes from an email sent through Mailchimp or Marketo, you can automatically update their unsubscribe status in Intercom.
- You can get more context on your users with Stripe data updated in your Intercom workspace.
- You can automatically sync your lead data and activity with Salesforce.
Note: You can also build your own apps to update your users’ data automatically.
How to manually update data
With qualification data
Qualification data is a special set of attributes you can update manually in Intercom as you chat with leads and users. It’s also a great way to manage attributes that need regular manual updates like a lead’s status in your sales pipeline.
With a CSV Import
To manually update your users and leads in bulk, you can use a CSV import. You can also tag users in bulk during the import process. Read more about using our CSV import tool here.
With the REST API or Zapier
For any other updates, we recommend using our REST API. With some custom development you can:
- Set up regularly scheduled updates.
- Build your own dashboard or interface for manual updates of your user data.
- Connect Intercom to other apps or services you use, including your own product.
If you don’t have a developer available to you or prefer a less technical option, you can do a lot of these things with third party services like Zapier. Check out this blog post to find out how.
Here are more resources to help you keep your data up-to-date: