You can update your user data in a number of ways. Most updates can be handled automatically by Intercom, but you can also update your data manually. In this guide, we'll cover how to update data using:
- Mobile SDKs
- Qualification data
- REST API
- CSV Imports
First, let's look at how to automatically update data:
How data is automatically updated
Once you’ve installed Intercom in your product, your user data updates every time a user logs in. Updates can include:
- Standard attributes: Email, Last seen, Web Sessions, OS, Company Plan and more.
- Custom attributes. Any custom data you add. For example: Projects created, Subscription level, or Follower count.
- Events, like upgrading their subscription or using a feature.
Note: We’ll also update the segment badges you see on a user’s profile each time they log in to your app.
Note: You can also update segments via the REST API.
You can automatically sync your Intercom data with other platforms using apps and integrations. For example:
- When a user unsubscribes from an email sent through Mailchimp or Marketo, you can automatically update their unsubscribe status in Intercom.
- You can get more context on your users with Stripe data updated in your Intercom workspace.
- You can automatically sync your lead data and activity with Salesforce.
Note: You can also build your own apps to update your users’ data automatically.
How to manually update data
With qualification data
Qualification data is a special set of attributes you can update manually in Intercom as you chat with leads and users. It’s also a great way to manage attributes that need regular manual updates like a lead’s status in your sales pipeline.
With a CSV Import
To manually update your users and leads in bulk, you can use a CSV import. You can also tag users in bulk during the import process. Read more about using our CSV import tool here.
Note: Company data cannot be imported or updated with a CSV import.
With the REST API or Zapier
For any other updates, we recommend using our REST API. With some custom development you can:
- Set up regularly scheduled updates.
- Build your own dashboard or interface for manual updates of your user data.
- Connect Intercom to other apps or services you use, including your own product.
If you don’t have a developer available to you or prefer a less technical option, you can do a lot of these things with third party services like Zapier. If you use a service like Zapier, and come across any issues, you should reach out to their support team directly.
Here are more resources to help you keep your data up-to-date: