With the Shopify app, you can provide personal, real-time support to visitors and customers on your store. And, check their order status without ever leaving the inbox.
You can also save hours of conversation time by letting customers check their order status in your Messenger home:
Here are more things you can do:
- Chat with visitors to your store in real-time, capture them as leads, and convert them to customers.
- Show customers their latest order status in your Messenger home, so they can check their order without needing to start a conversation.
- Let visitors search their orders straight from Messenger home.
- See your customers’ order history beside each conversation to resolve issues faster (with Intercom Inbox).
- Send targeted messages to encourage customers who purchased from your store to return (with our Intercom Messages).
Note: You’ll need Intercom Inbox to use the Shopify app. We’ll sync your Shopify customer data with Intercom and track your users' actions in the store as events in Intercom, so you can send them targeted messages based on their actions.
Installing the Shopify app will:
- Import records from Shopify to Intercom.
When a Shopify customer is imported as a user in Intercom, that user will be linked to the Shopify Customer ID to identify their Shopify orders.
How to install the Shopify app
If you haven't already, start an Intercom trial. 👌
Then, go to the app store, select the Shopify app and click ‘Install now.’
Enter the domain of your Shopify site
Tip: You’ll need to log in to your Shopify account. 👌
Then, to allow the Intercom connection in Shopify, click here:
You will be redirected back to Intercom to similarly authorize access here:
Once you’ve completed the setup, you’ll see the Intercom Messenger in the bottom right-hand corner of your Shopify store:
Note: This will work for both visitors and logged in users of your Shopify store.
Name, email address, and ID are mapped from Shopify to Intercom for logged in users.
Now you can grow your business with Intercom, like Dailius 👇
“With Intercom acting as the central solution for customer communications, GetAccept has been able to grow revenue by 450% in the last year!”
Let customers check their order status in the Messenger home
‘Where’s my order?’ is one of the most common questions eCommerce businesses receive from customers. With Shopify’s Messenger app, you can:
- Automatically show logged-in users their latest order status in your Messenger home.
- Let logged-out visitors search for their orders right from your Messenger home.
Here’s how the Messenger app works:
For logged-in users
When users sign into your store, they’ll be able to access their order status in your Messenger home:
Once they click the app, they can quickly check their recent order status, without needing to start a conversation. 👍
If your users click on an order, it will show them the latest status in a new page:
For logged-out visitors
When visitors click on the Shopify app in your Messenger home, they’ll be able to search for their order using their order number and email address:
If their details match an order, it’ll appear as a result:
Like for logged-in users, visitors can then click to see the order status in more detail.
Here’s how to add it to your Messenger home:
Add the Shopify app to your Messenger home
Note: You can show the Shopify app to visitors, users or both. The Shopify app will show your customers their orders for the previous 60 days.
After you save your settings, customers can start checking their latest orders in your Messenger home.
Tip: The Shopify app will be automatically localised into any language you support in your messenger. 🎉
See your customers’ Shopify orders in your Inbox
With Shopify added to your conversation details, you can see your customers’ Shopify data and the status of their recent orders without leaving the inbox.
To add Shopify to your inbox, click ‘Customize’ in the top right corner:
Then, click ‘+ Show more’, and select ‘Shopify’:
Now, when you chat with a customer who exists in Shopify, you’ll see their Shopify customer record, and their most recent orders in your conversation details:
To see more customer information, like their phone number, lifetime spend or last order date, click here:
To see the full customer record, click ‘View customer in Shopify’.
You can also click on an order to see its current status, and a detailed summary of the items purchased:
The order summary shows:
- Order number
- Order ID
- Payment status
- Fulfillment status
- Order date
- Tracking number & link
- Item details
— Product name
— SKU code
- Shipping cost
- Total price
- Order confirmation link — This is a link to the confirmation page as seen by your customers to send to them again if needed.
To see the full order record, click ‘View order in Shopify’.
Create an order in Shopify from your inbox
To create an order for a customer while you chat, click 'Create order':
Then, search for products to add them to the order:
After adding products, you can modify the quantity, add a discount or customise the shipping cost here:
Then create the order as a draft, paid or pending:
Now, you can see the order in Shopify, or in their order summary in your Inbox. 👌
Search for a customer in Shopify
If a customer has provided you with a different email address, or it's not listed in Intercom, you can search for their customer record in Shopify.
Enter their email address here:
Then, click the search 🔍 icon, or press on 'Enter' on your keyboard:
Search for a product in Shopify
To share more information with a customer about one of your products, just switch to the 'Products' tab in the Shopify app and search for the product:
Then, simply hover over the eye 👁 icon to open or copy a link to that product:
Send the Shopify app in conversations
When you're chatting with a customer who asks about their order status, you can send the Shopify app to them directly from your Inbox. Just click the Shopify icon in the composer:
This will include the app in your response, and all you need to do is click send:
How Shopify syncs with Intercom
With the Shopify app installed, your Intercom users will be automatically updated with Shopify data. You can use this data to filter and segment your users, or send targeted messages, like a referral code for your most frequent customers or a discount to someone who canceled an order.
Note: Changes made in Intercom will never modify your data in Shopify.
Users and leads
When a lead fills out their email address anywhere on your site, and is identified as a current customer by Shopify, they'll be converted to a user in Intercom. For example, this might happen when a customer gives their email address when making an order. A Shopify user will be converted to an Intercom user/lead with the following attributes:
- id => user_id
- name => name
- email => email
- created_at => created_at (for leads)
- created_at => signed_up_at (for users)
- orders_count => shopify_orders_count
- total_spent => shopify_total_spent
- last_order_name => shopify_last_order_name
- accepts_marketing => shopify_accepts_marketing
Important: The Shopify/Intercom integration does not support metadata.
Intercom also automatically tracks these events for your users/leads:
- Checkout in Shopify results in “checkout-start”, “checkout-customer-infos-step”, “checkout-shipment-step” and “checkout-payment-step” events.
- Creating and updating an order in Shopify results in “order-create”, “order-paid”, “order-cancelled”, “order-partially-fulfilled” and “order-fulfilled” events in Intercom.
- Users are automatically imported from Shopify when you install the app. If you remove the Shopify app from Intercom, it won’t affect your Intercom subscription.
- A customer in Shopify is linked based on their Shopify customer ID, not email address.
Don’t worry if you can’t see the Intercom Messenger on your checkout page. The checkout process happens on a different domain so we can’t insert the Messenger here. It will appear on every other page of your store. We’ll still track your visitors’ and customers’ behavior, such as the checkout events listed above.