Does it make most sense to reach your customers while they’re using your product, browsing your mobile app or checking their inbox? This guide will help you decide whether to send a chat, post, email or push message.
When to send a chat or post message
Chat and post messages are great for encouraging users to take action while they’re using your product. Unlike email, these messages deliver in the right context. For example, you can send customers a message about how to invite a teammate, right after they create their first project.
Select the right message type for what you want to say
There are two message types that send in your app to choose from: a post or a chat.
- Posts allow you to tell longer stories that require lots of text, larger images or a video.
- Chats are purpose built to help you start conversations with your customers.
And you can choose how each message arrives for your customers. Learn how to set up your messages for maximum impact.
When to send a push message
Push messages are ideal for deep linking customers to specific locations in your mobile app. For example, you could announce a new feature or send a promotional offer and link customers directly to that feature or landing page.
Choose where your users see your message
If you have an iOS and Android app, you can send your message to both your iOS and Android customers. Or you can choose for your customers to see your message on Android or iOS first.
When to send an email
Email is the perfect channel for re-engaging customers who are slipping away and bringing them back into your app. At Intercom, we use it for billing, re-engagement, and one-off, time-sensitive announcements. It’s great for sending critical communications you want to make sure all of your customers get.
Choose which template to use
You have four email templates to choose from:
- Plain emails are designed to look 100% manual and handwritten.
- Personal emails include your name and photograph, making the exchange more human.
- Company emails allow you to display your logo and are perfect for more official communications.
- Announcement emails put your logo front and center and are ideal for sharing product updates and important announcements.
With Intercom, you can set your message to arrive any way you like. Check out this best practice guide to ensure you’re sending the right messages, in the right way.