Nobody likes spam. We want the Intercom platform to help you create valuable, personal interactions between you and your customers. Combatting spam is part of our mission to make internet business personal.
These guidelines are written to protect both your and Intercom's email sending reputation. Before you can send your first message, you'll need to confirm that you're happy to comply with these guidelines.
- 👌 Have permission: Sending unsolicited email is an offence in many countries. Always ask your users if they wish to receive marketing email from you.
- 📩 Message valid users: Intercom doesn't tolerate the use of purchased, rented, scraped or borrowed lists. You should only message your own users, verifying the validity of the email addresses you're sending to.
- 📝 Only great content: Don’t send anything offensive, distressing or illegal, including “get rich quick” or pyramid schemes, using the Intercom platform.
- 👍 Be authentic: Don’t mislead the recipient into thinking they’re hearing from a good friend or a very generous, long-lost relative with Swiss bank accounts.
- 🕵️♀️ Be transparent: Include an easy to use unsubscribe option and a physical address to your business on all messages, even those using your own templates.
Message performance 📈
Bad sending practices are not just bad news for Intercom, but for your business too. High bounce rates mean your messages are not reaching their intended destination. High complaint rates mean people receiving the messages aren’t happy about it.
If you exceed our reasonable internal thresholds, we will be entitled to suspend your ability to send email while our delivery team investigates.
If we don’t see an improvement within a reasonable, defined period that we set, we may withdraw your access to the Intercom platform altogether.
If we feel you are misusing our products or services, we reserve the right to withdraw access to our products and services entirely.
The legal bit 📖
In compliance with applicable data, privacy, and email marketing laws, you must have permission from a recipient to contact them with marketing email. If you don’t, that email may legally be deemed as spam. You should ensure that your email activities comply with these laws.
You must ensure you are meeting all your legal obligations. Don’t use Intercom's products in connection with data you don’t have permission to process.
You will fully indemnify Intercom against any and all losses we incur as a result of any personal data processed in relation to your use of the Intercom email service which breaches any applicable laws or causes us to be in breach of any such laws.
Please do make sure you’ve read and understand these documents. If we feel you are misusing our products or services, we reserve the right to withdraw access to our products and services entirely.
We know that occasionally things can go wrong and mistakes can be made. If at any time you are concerned that these guidelines may have been breached then please do notify us as soon as you become aware at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for reading this far - we hope that Intercom can help you to create meaningful, personal connections with your customers.