⚡️ Ready to dive straight into the insights? Get the report →
Customer support teams will remember 2023 as the year that everything changed.
In just 12 months, generative AI went from being an emerging possibility to a stop-you-in-your-tracks, drop-everything phenomenon. It’s transforming the customer service landscape at lightning speed, and heading into 2024, the race for competitive advantage is well and truly on.
Support teams have had a front-row seat to this AI revolution, and for our fourth annual Customer Service Trends Report, we wanted to understand just how much of an impact the transformation has had.
“We surveyed more than 2,000 customer service professionals across a range of locations, roles, and company sizes – and uncovered some gripping insights”
To find out, we surveyed more than 2,000 customer service professionals across a range of locations, roles, and company sizes – and uncovered some gripping insights. From tackling higher-than-ever customer expectations to making big-bet investments, support teams are gearing up to capitalize on the immense opportunity that lies ahead.
Here’s what we discovered
- AI has already influenced customer expectations – and they’re higher than ever. Now that customers know how AI can improve their support experience, they’re not willing to wait around for anything less.
- AI adoption jumped in 2023, and shows no sign of slowing. Almost half of customer support teams are already using AI, and that trend is set to continue upwards, with 70% of C-level support execs planning to invest in AI for customer service in 2024.
- AI is coming for support jobs, but only the monotonous, repetitive parts. AI is changing the nature of support work and creating new career opportunities for humans. But, there’s a perception gap between leaders and their teams when it comes to role evolution – which needs to be addressed in order to get support reps fully bought in.
- Support teams are being held back by tools that were built for the past, and they’re reevaluating their tech stacks. Last-generation tools aren’t going to cut it in this new age of customer service, which is why 65% of C-level support execs are looking at new platforms, tools, and technology specifically as a result of AI. Out with the old, in with the new.
- Success looks different in an AI-first world, and the ways of measuring it are changing. Old metrics won’t help you meet new opportunities, so support teams need to redefine how they measure and report on core metrics and KPIs to get a true measure of value and success.
The AI opportunity is there for the taking (for now)
Right now, the support teams that have already adopted AI have the advantage. But there’s still time for other teams to catch up – if they work fast.
Ready to take action? Grab a copy of The Intercom Customer Service Trends Report for 2024 to learn how support professionals are adapting their strategies this year to get – and stay – ahead, and how you can, too. You’ll also get valuable advice to help you hit the ground running with AI, from ways to save time and enhance efficiency to how to future-proof your support team.
We may be in uncharted waters, but now’s the time to dive in.