As well as engaging visitors, you can use Custom Bots to target and upsell your users.
Here are some examples of the powerful ways you can use Custom Bots to engage users:
- Upsell customers: Grow your business by encouraging customers to use more products.
- Provide proactive support: Provide users who haven’t finished setting up a feature with ways to get help.
- Announce features: Launch new features to users in a fun and engaging way with a video bot.
- Book meetings with high-intent customers: Automatically invite users to book a meeting with your accounts team after they show intent to act, such as viewing your upgrade page.
Here’s how to set up your bot:
First, target users with a bot
To target your users, go to Custom Bots, and select ‘For users'. Then, click ‘New Custom Bot’:
Note: You can choose to create a bot from scratch, or from a template.
Choose a title
You should add a title that accurately describes your bot’s goal, so your teammates can easily understand the bot’s purpose:
First, design your bot
Create an engaging welcome message
A great welcome message is crucial to your bot’s success, as users will decide whether to interact with your bot based on it.
It’s easy to create your welcome message. You can add text, emoji, GIFs, attachments, images, video, Product tours, and even apps:
Pro tip: You should add a short video to personally welcome users:
Give customers clear paths to follow
Once you’ve created your welcome message, add reply buttons to give users options to choose from:
Create personalized paths for different kinds of users
Now, you can direct users down new paths based on their replies. Each path lets you create a personalized experience for your customer.
Just click, ‘Choose a path’, then add a new path beside each reply button.
You can easily jump to editing your new paths with the arrow button next to each one:
Build customized follow up actions
After each step in a path, you can trigger any of the following actions:
- Tag the customer
- Tag the conversation
- Assign the conversation to a specific inbox
- Mark it as priority
If you have the Salesforce, HubSpot, or Marketo app installed in your Intercom account, you can also:
- Create a lead in Salesforce
- Create a contact in HubSpot
- Enrich a lead in Marketo
Just click "+ Add" below the bot messages, and select from the list of actions:
Then, at the end of each path, you can choose either reply buttons to direct users onto a new path, or complete the path with follow up actions:
If you choose to end a path with follow up actions, you can complete the path in a number of ways, including tagging the customer, assigning it to a team, sending an app, closing the conversation and more.
For example, if a user selects 'I'm interested in upgrading', you share a page that explains your pro plan using the content showcase app. You could also assign them to your sales team by round robin:
Note: Round robin is set up on a team inbox level, so you can ensure all conversations in that inbox are fairly distributed among available teammates.
It's also important to give uninterested users a quick exit to their interaction with your bot. For example, if users chose ‘Not right now’ (Path D), you could simply share an upcoming webinar and close the conversation.
Note: You’ll need Inbox to use follow-up actions.
Then, choose your channel
You can choose where your bot should show to users. For example, if you have both a desktop and mobile app, you might to choose to show it wherever they log in first:
Next, choose your audience
You can target users based on any data you track about them. For example, you could upsell free users to a paid plan:
Note: This example uses a company attribute.
Pro tip: You should also add multiple filters to ensure you target the right audience. For example, you could add:
- ‘Signed up’ more than 30 days ago - target customers (and remove trial users who are still being onboarded)
- ‘Last seen’ is less than 14 days ago, so you only target active users.
- ‘Browser language’ is English, so you target users who speak the language of your message.
The more targeted you make your audience, the more effective your bot will be.
Combine 'And' with 'Or' filters if you need more flexible audience targeting.
Set your trigger times
Once you’ve finished designing your bot, you can choose to turn on trigger times:
Note: You’ll need Messages Pro to access this feature.
Preview your bot, then set it live
You can preview your bot privately on any web page, where you’ve installed the Intercom Messenger. Read this article to see how.
Once you’re happy, set your bot live:
Note: To create, edit and set Custom Bots live you must have permission to send messages to more than one person at a time. Permissions are only available to customers on a Pro plan.
Now, your bot will trigger for any user who matches your audience rules.
See how your bot performs
Once your bot is live, you can easily review its performance.
Here’s what each stat means:
- ‘Sent’ is the number of users who received the bot welcome message.
- ‘Engaged’ is the percentage of users who clicked a reply button on the welcome message.
- ‘Completed’ is the percentage of users who reached the end of any path, or if a teammate joined the conversation.
To understand how often your bot is sending, open the custom bot, and click "Sent" for a graph of sends over time:
To dive deeper into your bot interactions, click on "Engaged" or "Completed" for a full list of conversations started by your bot:
For a detailed look at the paths customers are following through your bot, click on "Path analysis":
- Proactively reach out to visitors to generate more leads.
- Get started with Custom Bots quickly with these templates.
- Provide instant resolutions 24/7 with Answer bot.