You can proactively reach out to visitors on your website based on who they are and what they do. Here’s how to create ongoing messages that help you chat to, capture and qualify high quality leads.
- You’ll need a Messages subscription to messages to your visitors.
- Anyone on your website who’s not logged in can receive these messages, including your leads or users.
Create a new message to capture leads
You can create a new message to visitors in minutes. First, go to Outbound, and click ‘New’ :
Then, choose In-app as your channel:
Note: If you’re on the “In-apps” tab of Outbound, this is selected by default, so you’ll skip this step.
Next, choose to create the message from scratch, or start with a pre-made template:
Tip: Some good templates for messages to visitors are:
- Offering help on your pricing page.
- Increasing your newsletter subscriptions.
For this example we’ll start from scratch, but the following steps also apply if you customize a template.
Before composing your message, you’ll see these options to define how it’s received by site visitors. Selections you make here will update the preview on the right, so you can see how your message will look:
You’ll need to choose who the message should come from, and which Inbox you’d like replies assigned to. — If you’d like to share new leads equally among a team (like your sales team), choose that team with ‘round robin' enabled.
The ideal settings for a message to visitors are:
- Deliver first to Web.
- Chat message type. — You can collect a visitor’s email address with a “Chat” message, or start a conversation.
- Sent as Snippet. — Make the first few words engaging and indicate what your message is about.
Create an engaging message
To make your message engaging, you can easily add video clips, images, buttons, apps and more. Just click the '+' icon on the left:
It's easy to insert an image, embed a video, add a call-to-action button, apps, and more.
Note: Uploaded video clips must be in mp4 format and no more than 40mb in size. They'll display in a 4:3 aspect ratio.
Automatically qualify leads who reply
Next, configure our bot, Operator, to automatically qualify your leads. Below the message, switch “Add follow up actions” on:
Then, select “Trigger Operator’s qualification task bot”. You can configure the qualification data Operator collects on the Operator tab under “Qualify leads”.
Choose your audience
Next, you’ll need to select ‘Visitors’ and target each message to send to the right prospects, at the right time.
For example, you might know that visitors who arrive on your site after clicking a link from a ProductHunt promotion are more likely to convert to customers. You could specifically message these folks when they visit your pricing page for the third time. Your filters here could look like this:
You can also combine 'and' with 'or' filters for more powerful audience targeting.
To ensure the message only sends on your pricing page add a ‘URL contains’ rule under “Set page targeting”:
Tip: You can also choose to send your message after a person has spent a certain amount of time on the page, like 5 seconds in this example. ☝️
Pro tip: If you’ve installed our Clearbit Reveal integration, you’ll also see additional company data to choose from, like the number of employees in a visitor’s company, the total amount of funding they’ve raised, and more. You can see the full list of Clearbit Reveal data available in Intercom here.
Send the message when your team is available
To avoid missing important leads, set your message to send during your office hours, when your team is available to respond:
Important: Delivery times for visitor auto messages are calculated based on your workspace’s timezone.
That’s it. You’re ready to set your message live 🎉
- Perform Accounts Based Marketing, which allows you to identify and send personalized messages to visitors on your site whom you have targeted as being key accounts in Salesforce.
- Check out our best practices for writing engaging visitor auto messages.
- Once a lead signs up for a trial, they’ll become a user and you can get even more targeted with the messages you send.