With certain Intercom plans, you can easily integrate with Facebook in just a few clicks.
Why integrate Facebook with Intercom?
- We’ll route messages from Facebook to Inbox in Intercom, keeping all of your customer communication in one place.
- You can read, manage and respond to all private messages you receive directly from your team inbox.
What you need to know before you begin
You need to be an admin of the Facebook page you wish to integrate with Intercom.
How to integrate with Facebook
Sign into Intercom and go to your app store. Search for the Facebook app and click ‘Install now'. Then, click 'Connect to Facebook' to add a page:
After you've installed the Facebook app, check your Facebook Business integrations settings and ensure that Intercom appears in your list of active business integrations:
Now, anytime someone sends you a private Facebook message, it will appear in your Intercom team inbox. You can quickly see if that message was originally sent from Facebook by checking the ‘Sent via’ information below your message.
How Facebook messages work
- Only private Facebook messages will get sent to your team inbox. If someone posts a Facebook message on your wall it won’t appear in your team inbox.
- When someone sends a message to your company Facebook page they will get designated as a lead in Intercom. You’ll only be able to see that person’s Facebook name and profile picture. We recommend asking for their email and adding it to their profile.
- We support images, attachments, audio, videos, location sharing, stickers, GIFs, and bot messages sent from Facebook.
- The Facebook app does not sync conversations in real-time, there can be a 10 minute delay.
Which Intercom features work with Facebook messages
- You can reply quickly to Facebook messages using saved replies from the Inbox.
- Custom Bots, Resolution Bot, and Messenger apps currently do not work in conversations from Facebook.
- Currently, only text replies are supported when sending from Intercom to Facebook.
Troubleshooting the Facebook app
Can't reply to some conversations?
If the user's last message in a Facebook conversation is from more than 24 hours ago, you'll see this warning in your inbox:
"You may not be able to reply to this conversation. Facebook does not allow sending messages more than 24 hours after the user interacted with your page."
If the user has interacted with your page in the last 24 hours, your reply will send as expected. If they have not, you will see this note that the message couldn't be sent:
"❗You cannot reply to a Facebook conversation more than 24 hours after the user interacted with your page"
In these cases, you can still reply to the conversation directly from Facebook.
Pro tip: Check your notification settings to make sure you never miss a new conversation.
Conversations not syncing?
If your Facebook conversations aren't syncing with Intercom, this may be due to a change in your Facebook Page's permissions. You'll see this message on your app settings page:
"Facebook is changing the permissions required for your Pages to work with Intercom. You can fix this by clicking the 'Reconnect to Facebook' button. Do this by 31 December to avoid disruption to your conversations."
You'll also see "Issue Detected" next to any affected pages:
To resolve this issue, just click "Reconnect to Facebook" below your list of Facebook pages:
Can't connect to Facebook?
If you encounter a 'Check Admin Permissions' error when connecting to Facebook, double check that you're an Admin on the Facebook Page that you're trying to connect. 👌
Uninstall the Facebook app
If you have connected more than one Facebook page, you can disconnect the integration and delete all of the Facebook pages you have connected. Just remove Intercom from your installed apps in your Facebook integration settings.