With the MailChimp Subscribe app, you can capture new email subscribers in the Messenger home and sync them with your MailChimp mailing lists.
If your visitors or users aren’t ready to create an account or make a purchase, they can leave their email address. And you can offer rewards like valuable content, discount codes or just follow up with a simple thank you message.
Note: To use the MailChimp subscribe app you’ll need a MailChimp account and any paid Intercom plan.
Install the MailChimp Subscribe app
You can install the MailChimp Subscribe app from the ‘Add Messenger App Home’ section of your Messenger settings or from the app store. Here we’re going to install it from the app store (but both methods work the same).
First, head to the app store and search for the MailChimp Subscribe app, then select it.
Next, click ‘Install now.’
Then, click ‘Connect.’
If you haven’t logged into your MailChimp account you’ll be prompted to do so.
You’ll also need to ‘Allow access’ to accept permissions.
Choose which content to display
Now, you’ll need to fill out the content that will appear in the Messenger card for your visitors or users.
First, select the MailChimp mail list you’d like to sync to Intercom, like your ‘newsletter subscriber’ list.
Then, add an enticing title. This is your call to action - it should incentivize people to give you their email address. We recommend telling people what they’ll gain by subscribing - for example, that could be weekly tips.
Next, add a description. This gives you a little more room to explain your call to action. For example, you can tell your customers that they should subscribe to your newsletter in exchange for tips, a discount code or a piece of content you’re offering.
Then, add a friendly confirmation message. It’s a good idea to let your customers know you’re grateful they signed up.
Next, we recommend adding a reward for customers to receive after leaving their email address. You can offer:
- A discount code
- A link to a piece of content they can download (like an ebook, a whitepaper or a cheatsheet)
- Or useful additional text (for example, you could let customers know that they’ll receive your newsletter every Monday)
If you choose a download link, you’ll need to give your link a name and provide a link to your content, like this:
Capture new subscribers in the Messenger:
Once you set up the MailChimp Subscribe app, there are two ways you can capture new subscribers:
- You can add the app to your Messenger home and let people discover it themselves.
- Or you can share it in conversations with individual users/visitors.
Add the app to your Messenger home
It’s easy to add the MailChimp Subscribe app to your Messenger home.
First, head to the ‘Add Messenger Home Apps’ section of your Messenger settings and choose whether you’d like to add it for ‘visitors’ or ‘users.’
Note: If you want to make the app available for both your visitors and users you’ll need to add it in both places.
Now, select ‘Add an app’, then choose the ‘MailChimp Subscribe’ app.
Once you save and set the app live, it will appear in your Messenger on your product or on your website.
Now, once your customers open the Messenger on your product/site they’ll be prompted to subscribe to your mailing list.
As soon as they enter their email address, they’ll receive their reward and confirmation that they’ve subscribed.
Share the app in conversations
If a visitor or user asks to subscribe to your newsletter, you can share the app from the inbox. Click the ‘App store’ icon, then select the ‘MailChimp Subscribe’ app.
If you like you can add context to the card before sending it. We recommend keeping your message short and sweet - say something simple, like ‘You can sign up here.’
It’s also a good idea to sign off your message with an offer to help answer any additional questions.
Best practices for capturing more quality subscribers:
Test and optimize your subscription form
Test out a few different ways to engage your customers and capture their email addresses. For example, try out different types of rewards, titles and description text. You’ll soon find the approach that works best for your customers.
Create different types of engaging content to share
Here are some tips for creating content your customers will want to read and sign up for:
- Send your customers a message asking what they’d like to read. It’s the fastest and most efficient way to gauge appetite for a particular topic or medium.
- Analyze your Google Analytics data to see the types of content your customers are reading and sharing most. Once you spot the most popular topics you can create more content around this 🙌
- Here’s some inspiration for writing ebooks worth reading 😀
- Once you capture your visitors’ email addresses they’ll become leads. Then, you can automatically and manually qualify them, enabling your sales team to focus on the best quality leads.
- You should enter your leads into a lead nurture campaign to prompt them to become signed-up customers.
- And if your sales team use Salesforce, they can automatically send your qualified leads to Salesforce too.