With Intercom Messages, you can send targeted emails to your customers and leads. Whether you customize a pre-made template, or import your own HTML, the emails you send will look great. A/B testing and goals let you optimize your email performance and ensure effectiveness.
Create and send an email
First, click “New” or “New email” in the top right corner:
Then, choose Email as your channel:
Note: If you’re on the “Emails” tab, this is selected by default, so you’ll skip this step.
Next, choose to create the message from scratch, or start with a pre-made template:
Tip: You’ll find Email templates for many use cases, like re-enaging inactive users, reminding people about items in their cart, and they’re all completely customizable.
For this example we’ll start from scratch, but the following steps also apply if you customize a template. 👌
Before composing your message, you’ll see these options on the left to define who it’s sent from, and how it looks. Selections you make here will update the preview on the right:
You can choose:
- Who the message should come from, and which Inbox you’d like replies assigned to.
- Which email layout template to use; Plain, Personal, Company, or Announcement.
Once you’ve drafted the message, you can send yourself a test to check it in your own inbox:
If you need a more customized layout, you can import your own HTML email:
Now, it’s time to write your message content
The simple composer lets you create personalised messages that look great, with speed and confidence. It’s quick to style your text, insert images, and easy to add a call-to-action — all with a few simple clicks.
- To format text on a Mac, press “command + I” for italics, or “command + B” for bold. Use “ctrl” on Windows.
- To add headers, links, and more, simply select some text and the options will display:
- To create a bulleted list, just type -, +, or * and then hit space.
- To create a numbered list, type 1) or 1. and hit space.
- Any URL you type will be automatically converted to a link after you hit space at the end of the URL.
Add rich content to your messages
Adding attachments, images, buttons, and more is easy. Add them using the + icon on the left:
When creating emails, you can also add blocks of HTML, without the need for a full HTML email. To add one, just click the + icon on the left and select "Insert HTML":
A/B testing your message
To ensure that your content is performing as well as it can be, you should A/B test your message. Intercom makes it easy to create and send two versions of a message to see which is the most effective. Read all about A/B testing here.
Choose your audience
First, decide if it should be sent as an Ongoing or One-off message.
- Ongoing messages send to everyone who matches the audience filters now, and anyone who matches the filters in the future. If you’d like your message to be ongoing for a certain period only, you can define a stop date (see “Schedule your message” below).
- One-off messages will only send to people who match your audience filters right now.
Add rules to select the exact group of people you’d like to receive your message. For example, if you’d like to send a message to users who haven’t used your app in the last two weeks your rules might be: Users with “Last seen more than 14 days ago” on web or in your mobile app.
Note: We’ve also used ‘Last seen or last heard from less than 90 days ago’ as recently active customers are far more likely to engage with your message. We recommend only emailing users who have logged in, or contacted you in the last 90 days.
Set a goal for your message
Every message you send should have a goal, but open and click rates will only tell you so much. Goals are the true measure of how a message is performing.
To add a goal, choose the attribute or event for the result you want to measure from the dropdown under “Set your goal”:
Example: if your goal is to get people to log in to your app, you could use the goal “Web sessions is increased” and any user who logs in after receiving it, will contribute to this goal's total.
You can set a goal using any data you track in Intercom, whether it's an event or a user/company attribute.
Schedule your message
Next, you can schedule a message to send at exactly the right time. There are three ways you can do this:
- Set specific dates and times for your message to start and stop sending.
- Schedule messages to send during or outside your office hours.
- Set a custom delivery time during which your message will send.
And that’s it. Your message is ready to send!