On this week’s show, we’re delighted to be joined by a guest who Inc Magazine has called “One of the Most Influential Women in Tech.”
Kathryn Finney is an Author, Futurist, and Entrepreneur. Over the course of a 30 year career her work has won her accolades from across the business world and beyond. She may even be our first guest who has been honoured with their own day, with the Borough of Manhattan celebrating “Kathryn Finney Appreciation Day.”
Our chat covers her incredible career, her passion for supporting and investing in others, the nature of intersectionality and some really sound advice for how we all can start to stand up for those who navigate the world against more prejudices than ourselves. It’s an inspiring conversation, with a genuinely inspiring woman.
A key part of Kathryn’s career and ethos has been supporting those who haven’t had access to the same advantages that she and others have enjoyed. Throughout her work with #ProjectDiane, Digitalundivided and now the Doonie Fund, Kathryn has found way to make space for Black and Latinx women within the tech community.
With this in mind, we wanted to shine a light on some of the Black businesses that Intercom teammates have recommended for people to support at this time. Here’s a list of just some of those.
- Black Vines – Black wine coalition with the goal of showcasing Black vinyards
- Black Joy Parade – A parade in downtown Oakland celebrating the Black experience
- CBE – Coalition of Black Excellence connects and educates Black professionals and Black professionals in tech
- Satori – A Black owned yoga studio in San Francisco’s financial district
- NextPlay – The leading career development platform for Black and Latinx tech profesionals
- Oakstop – Coworking, event, networking and art gallery space
- Arkatecht – A Doonie Fund supported company offering professional advancement tools for working parents
- Red Bay Coffee – Public roastery, coffee barn and garden in Oakland
- Teas with Meaning – Oakland based tea company committed to providing organic loose leaf tea blends and authentic tea experiences
- Whipped – an Irish owned skincare company
- Bee Loved – another Irish based skincare company
- Turbante-se – Turbans and head wraps created by a Brazilian artist living in Dublin
- Megah Browns -Barbershop in Oakland, California
- Base Butter – supported by the Doonie Fund
- Frederick Benjamin – Men’s grooming product line using natural ingredients
- Bisa Butler – An NYC based artist who uses textiles to create artwork
- Jungalow – Home decor, art and lifestyle gifts
- HT4M – Health Tech for Medicaid and health care expansion, advocating for vulnerable populations to receive health care.
- Purpose Driven Passports – a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping travelers improve the lives of local citizens in the cities they visit
- Miracle Allums – Psycotherapy, Doula and Reiki supported by the Doonie Fund
We see this as a living resource, so we’d love to hear from you if you have or know of a business that you would like to see included here. Please let us know via the Intercom Messenger.