It’s easy to export your message data as a CSV file, so you can analyze your message performance. With this data, you can:
- Combine Intercom message data with your user data to better understand the impact of your messages.
- Understand how your messages and campaigns perform over time.
There are three ways you can export message data in Intercom. Here's how:
Export data for a specific date range
To export all of your message data for a specific date range, go to Reports > Customer engagement:
Then, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on ‘Export message data’:
You can choose any date range, up to a year:
- You can only export data for messages your team have sent. If you'd like export conversations initiated by users, read this article on exporting conversation data.
- Reaction data won’t display in your CSV file. For example, you won’t see when a user reacted to a message, or which emoji they selected for the message.
- The date range selected here will filter the report to show messages which have sent in that period, but individual stats for those messages (like click rate etc) will show the results for all time.
Note: If you choose a date range that might contain a high volume of data, it’s best to open the CSV file using a text editor.
Lastly, click ‘Export’. You’ll now receive the CSV file to your email address:
Note: Exporting your message data can take up to a few hours.
Here’s the data your CSV file includes:
- Message type, channel, style and ID
- Sent, opened and clicked timestamps
- When a goal was hit
- Response timestamps
- User ID and email address
- If the message was marked as spam
- The folder and campaign the message belongs to
- How the message was delivered (full message or snippet)
The export includes:
- Campaign messages
Export data from a message or tour
If you’d like to look at a message or tour’s performance in more detail, go to the message you’d like to export, click on ‘More’ and select ‘Export CSV’:
Important: Data exported from Mobile push messages and Product tours will be in multiple files, based on separate message events like "Receipt", "Open" or "Completion (for tours only)".
Export data from a Smart Campaign
You can also export all message data within a campaign. Just go to the campaign you’d like to export, click on ‘More’ and select ‘Export CSV':
Get further insights with exported data
Analyzing your data can help you better understand the performance of your messages. For example, you can:
- Join your message data with other data sources, such as your Intercom user data, to see how your messaging impacts behaviour or outcomes.
- Analyze the performance of your messages to see which ones are your best performers.
- Understand how a campaign has performed, and conduct an in-depth comparison with other campaigns.
- Use third party business intelligence tools to analyze your message performance over time.
Here’s how to gain further insight from your message data.