There’s three ways you can provide an extra level of security for your Intercom account. You can either:
- Require your teammates to sign into Intercom through their Google account.
- Require two-factor authentication when you sign into your own Intercom account.
- Or allow both authentication methods for your own Intercom account.
- For accounts created with Google sign-on, you won't see an option to select 2FA unless you reset your password.
- If you choose either of the last two options, each of your teammates will have to protect their own Intercom accounts separately.
Just visit your Security settings and choose the option you’d prefer:
Require your teammates to sign in through Google
Once set up, your Intercom account will be authenticated by your Google Apps for Work domain. And each of your teammates will sign into Intercom with a single click through their Google Apps for Work account.
Important: Requiring Google sign-on is only available on Pro plans.
Require two-factor authentication
If you select the two-factor authentication option, each time you login you will need to enter your password and provide a unique code. We use a QR-based system to generate the codes for you. Our system is compatible with popular authenticator apps like Google Authenticator and Authy.
How to set it up
Setting it up takes about two minutes:
- Choose the ‘Require two-factor authentication’ option and click ‘Save.’
- Download an authenticator app like Google Authenticator or Authy.
- You'll be asked to scan a QR code on your screen.
- When you log in the next time, you'll need to add your password and then a code generated from your authentication app on your smart phone.
Important: When you set up 2FA you'll be given the option to generate recovery codes. We recommend generating recovery codes to avoid potentially being locked out of your account. You'll also need a recovery code to disable 2FA (for example, if you're switching phones).
Allow SSO and 2FA together
You’ll get both options each time you sign in (you can sign in through two-factor authentication or through your Google app account).
Enable 2FA on your Intercom account
You can enable 2FA on your own Intercom account in Your account.
Lost your 2FA device?
Get in touch with us in the Messenger and we'll help you out :)