With Intercom’s Outbound Messages, it's easy to acquire, onboard and retain users. You can send targeted ongoing messages to start conversations with visitors while they browse your website. Then, once they become customers, you can send them chat, post or banner messages in your app, push notifications and emails that trigger based on who they are and the actions they take in your product.
What you get with Outbound messages:
- Send chat or post messages to visitors on your website, and customers inside your product or mobile apps.
- Engage your customers in an unobtrusive and effective way with Banner messages.
- Automatically message people based on who they are and the actions they take inside your product.
- Engage leads and users with ongoing and one-off messages.
- Personalize every message you send with custom variables.
- Set message goals specific to your business. See open and click rates.
- A/B test your subject lines and message content to optimize opens, clicks and conversions.
- Completely control the look and feel of your emails with custom templates.
- Schedule messages to send at the right time.
- Effortlessly create visually rich messages with our powerful message composer.
- See how your messages are performing with individual message stats, and the Messages report.
Send ongoing, or one-off messages
- Ongoing messages are messages that you set up in advance to automatically go to users at key moments. They automatically send when people meet the rules you set for the message.
- One-off messages are one-time messages that you send to one or more users in real-time.
Important: Ongoing messages will only send once to any given user, even if they meet the criteria for the message a second time.
Four different types of messages
Chats and Posts
Messages sent in your app are great for reaching your customers in context, while they’re actually using your product or browsing your website. You can send chats, or posts depending on the situation. This is a small post:
Send emails to follow up with new leads, welcome new sign-ups, and onboard and engage your existing customers.
With Intercom installed in your mobile app you can send chats or posts with push notifications, or just push notifications to users of your app.
Banners provide an unintrusive, persistent way for you to reach your customers with announcements, promotions, proactive support, and more.
Design your campaigns with Series and drive action
All of the message types can be grouped together in Series, which allow you to send the perfect series of messages to drive your customers toward a common goal:
You can send messages based on your customers’ interaction with other messages. For example, if you want to prevent a group of users who have received one message from getting another, you can add the rule: ‘Received message x is false’.
Organise and filter your messages
To view a specific group of messages, you can filter them by:
- People type — Messages targeted at visitors, users, or leads.
- State – Messages that are live, draft, paused, or scheduled.
- Sender – Which teammate the message is from.
- Tag – Tags allow you to group your messages in any way you like, so you can organise them by the type of message they are, the language they’re in etc.
How to tag your messages and tours
As you send more messages for more diverse reasons, you should group them with tags to keep things organised. You can apply as many tags as you like to each message, for flexible filtering.
Tag messages in bulk, or one at a time:
Tag your messages in bulk
First, check the box on the left for all messages you’d like to tag. Then, click “Tag”:
Type the name of the tag you want to add, and click “Save”. If it doesn’t already exist, you can easily create a new tag:
Now the tag is shown on each message, and can be used to filter them in the list:
Tag an individual message
To apply a tag to an individual message, open the message, and click “Tag” in the top right:
Guide your customers with Product Tours
You’ll also find Product Tours under Outbound, which is available as an add-on with any Intercom subscription:
To learn more about Product Tours:
Check out this article
Follow these guides to learn how to create and send: