Before you show your tour to customers, it’s important to test it to ensure it sends correctly.
Here’s how to test your tour to ensure it works:
Set up your tour to send to you only
When testing your tour, make sure customers can’t access it. Here’s how to test your tour without showing it to customers:
- To test automatic targeting, ensure only you can see it by adding your own email address as an audience rule.
- To test sharing, turn on the ‘Use tour everywhere’ step, and use the sharing URL to test it internally.
Note: Tours set up to show automatically will only deliver once per user so you’ll need to sign in as a new user each time you want to test the tour.
Test your tour
Once you’ve built your tour, we recommend testing it in the following ways before publishing to your end users:
1. Test as a new user
If you’ve built a tour to show to new users, you should sign up to your product from scratch and test your tour as a real new user. This will ensure your tour works when your product is completely fresh, and with no data.
2. Test with all your different product permissions
If your product has different permission levels, i.e. basic, admin, super admin; you should test your tour as a user with each of these different permission levels. This will ensure your tour works for every type of user. It will also ensure your tour is built on a page every user can access.
3. Test that your tour works with and without product content
If your product can be filled with user generated content, you should make sure your tours work with and without content. You should test empty states as well as your product with content.
What else should I test?
You can ensure your tour is robust in a few more ways:
- Ensure you’ve chosen the best CSS to point your message at.
- When setting up automatic targeting and sharing, ensure your tour shows on a URL every customer can access.
- Once you’ve set it live, keep track of your tour’s issues to ensure it sends correctly.
- Ensure that customers can only match the rules for one tour at a time. — If they match the audience filters for more than one tour, they will receive whichever one was most recently updated.