With Intercom Messages, you can send targeted messages to people based on the actions they take on your site or in your product. Messages sent in your app or on your website are great for encouraging people to take action. They’re up to ten times better than email at engaging your customers.
You’ll have full control over how each message gets delivered, increasing its chance of being seen and read. Here’s how these messages work across web and mobile.
Create and send a chat or post message
First, click “New” in the top right corner:
Then, choose Chat or Post as your channel:
Note: If you’re on the “Chats” or "Posts" tab, this is selected by default, so you’ll skip this step.
Next, choose to create the message from scratch, or start with a pre-made template:
Tip: You’ll find templates for many use cases, like:
- Offering help to users in their language.
- Increasing your newsletter subscriptions.
- Welcoming new users (from their account owner).
- And more. 👍
For this example we’ll start from scratch with a 'chat', but the following steps also apply if you customize a template.
Before composing your message, you’ll see these options to define how it’s received by your customers. Selections you make here will update the preview on the right, so you can see how your message will look:
You’ll need to choose:
- Who the message should come from, and which Inbox you’d like replies assigned to.
- Reply type. — You can collect a visitor’s email address with a “Chat” message, or allow simple reactions (or no reply at all) with a “Post”. All message types support text responses.
- How the message should be sent; as a Snippet, or Full message.
- For "Post" messages you can also choose the format of the message; Small, or Large.
- Where it should be delivered first: Web, iOS, or Android. — To deliver the message wherever a customer opens your app first, select all available options here. This option will only appear if you have installed Intercom in your mobile app/s.
Push notifications notify customers that you have sent them a message. When a customer opens the notification they are directed to your message. Push notifications are great for starting conversations with customers.
Note: Messages are counted as ‘sent’ once a push notification is sent, and marked as ‘seen’ when a user opens the message.
Now, it’s time to write your message content
The simple composer lets you create personalised messages that look great, with speed and confidence. It’s quick to style your text, insert images, and easy to add a call-to-action — all with a few simple clicks.
- To format text on a mac, press “command + I” for italics, or “command + B” for bold. Use “ctrl” on Windows.
- To add headers, links, and more, simply highlight some text and the options will display:
- To create a bulleted list, just type -, +, or * and then hit space.
- To create a numbered list, type 1) or 1. and hit space.
- Any URL you type will be automatically converted to a link after you hit space at the end of the URL.
Add rich content to your messages
Adding videos, images, buttons, apps, and more is easy. Add them using the + icon on the left:
Note: Video clips must be in mp4 format and no more than 40mb in size. They'll display in a 4:3 aspect ratio.
A/B testing your message
To ensure that your content is performing as well as it can be, you should A/B test your message. Intercom makes it easy to create and send two versions of a message to see which is the most effective. Read all about A/B testing here.
Add follow up actions
Choose your audience
First, decide if it should be sent as an, Ongoing or One-off message.
- Ongoing messages send to everyone who matches the audience filters now, and anyone who matches the filters in the future. If you’d like your message to be ongoing for a certain period only, you can define a stop date (see “Schedule your message” below).
- One-off messages will only send to people who match your audience filters right now.
Add rules to select the exact group of people you’d like to receive your message. For example, if you’d like to send a message to engaged users your rules might be: Users with “Web sessions greater than 20” and “Last seen less than 30 days ago”.
Note: It’s ‘Last seen less than 30 days ago’ as recently active customers are far more likely to see your message. We recommend only targeting users who were recently active in your app.
Targeting a specific URL
The best place to tell your customers about a feature is on the page where that feature lives.
Pro tip: It's a good idea to copy and paste the URL from your app or site directly, as this will catch any characters hidden in your browser's address bar, like trailing slashes.
To target a specific URL, your message must be delivered to web first (choose this on the left when composing your message). Then, you’ll see this section to define a specific page or pages:
Tip: You can also choose to send your message after a person has spent a certain amount of time on the page, like 10 seconds in this example. ☝️
Set a goal for your message
Every message you send should have a goal, but open and click rates will only tell you so much. Goals are the true measure of how a message is performing.
To add a goal, choose the attribute or event for the result you want to measure from the dropdown under “Set your goal”:
Example: if you set your goal to “Projects is increased”, each user who gets this message and then creates a new project, will contribute to this goal's total.
You should also set a limit on how long your customers' actions should be counted towards the goal:
Pro tip: With a longer time limit you'll see a higher percentage of recipients hit the goal, but it's also more likely their actions have been impacted by other factors, including your other messages.
You can set a goal using any data you track in Intercom, whether it's an event or a user/company attribute.
Schedule your message
Next, you can schedule a message to send at exactly the right time. There are three ways you can do this:
- Set specific dates and times for your message to start and stop sending.
- Schedule messages to send during or outside your office hours.
- Set a custom delivery times during which your message will send.
And that’s it. Your message is ready to send. 👍